Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Jen Lancaster

Since my freshman year of high school, I believe, I have been a fan of the wonderfully witty, sarcastic, and hilarious author Jen Lancaster. Her first memoir, Bitter is the New Black, completely captivated me. I saw how someone could be a talented and successful writer not by making up stories, but by chronicling the wonderful, sad, and frustrating moments of everyday life. Since then, she's published several more memoirs and two works of fiction, all of which I've read.

Today, I was lucky enough to meet an author I've admired for years at a book signing in Naperville. Jen was amazing, answering questions, telling stories, and making everyone around her laugh. She truly is the woman in her books. When it was finally my turn, I was freaking out. I have a tendency to do that, as well as go completely silent, in front of anyone remotely famous that I admire.

When I walked up, I cleared the air by explaining that yes, I was both nervous and excited to meet her because she's one of my favorite authors. She then asked with genuine interest what other authors I liked. I, being a moron, responded, "Shakespeare." Don't get me wrong, I do absolutely love Bill's work, but COME ON. SO pretentious. She said it was great to meet me, and the entire time she just seemed so genuine and down to earth, as if her enormous success as an author hadn't changed her at all. I left with a huge grin on my face and the reassurance that with hard work, even a woman who took 11 years to complete college could have tons of success and happiness. I knew then, more than ever, I needed to pursue my own dreams. I wanted to connect with people, make them laugh with my stories. So, Jen, if you ever somehow see this, thank you. You are one of the reasons why I won't give up on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment