Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars UPDATE

I finished Stars only a few minutes ago.
It's safe to say that I will never read that book again. I feel so sad, so scared. I can honestly say that I am a weak person who is terrified of death in any shape or form.  However, you all know by now that cancer in specific is a touchy subject for me.
I truly cannot understand why people love this book, yet I cannot justify calling it "bad."
The writing is nice. Not too flowery, but certainly detailed enough for tumblr-worthy quotes.
Yet for me, it is too sad. It isn't this beautiful love story that I had hoped it would be. Augustus and Hazel are supposed to have this amazing, beautiful, profound love, but I felt that I rarely saw it throughout the book. Their relationship seemed so incomplete by the time things took a turn for the worse.
Perhaps I couldn't see it because I've never truly lost someone I was in love with, because I don't know what it's like knowing that the person I love so much is going to die and leave me alone, but there is one thing that stayed with me while finishing the book and the crying that ensued immediately thereafter.
I have a greater appreciation for love than ever before. How grateful am I that I can see the one I love so often, knowing that he is not sick, not dying. And maybe he doesn't love me back, but I'd rather have that than not be able to love him anymore, not see him anymore, because he has left this earth. More than ever I realize that love is truly the most powerful thing in the world, more powerful than death, because true love continues on through literally anything.
If you love someone, don't let him go. If he tells you he doesn't love you, he can't love you, give him his space. But keep a special place in your heart for him no matter what. There is a reason why he was there in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment